Thread: Thieves
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
While I patiently (not!) wait for the release of Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves.
Heh.

Quote:
What makes a thief shine in an adventure?
In my opinion letting them use some of those skills they have. Backstabbery is good and all, but let them use Merchant or Shadowing or Filch. So many random skills needed to do what their archetype demands makes them a bit lackluster in other areas.

Quote:
Are there combinations of advantages and skills that are particularly awesome?
Scholar-Thieves tend to make the best treasure hunters. Really shores up some issues with both templates in a way that make them really awesome.

Easy to learn spells like Climbing or Haste can really make a thief dangerous - especially if they get a chance to cast a bunch and set up the terrain in combat.

Quote:
Has anyone modified the thief template or added abilities to give them more oomph?
Some of the rules in DFD: Thieves are right from my table. Things like expanded Perfect Balance, the Deathblow power-up, the Mastermind variation of thief.

Quote:
I'm considering allowing some elements from DF12: Ninja or even allowing thieves to purchase the 50 point ninja lens. I would probably change the window dressing a bit (black PJs optional).
Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Has anyone run a party of all thieves? (Adventurers, p.39: "A party won't live long without one thief, and may consist entirely of thieves.")
Yes. For the playtest everyone played a different archetype and it actually went over quite well. The best combatant was the cutthroat, but he'd maxed out his Striking ST and was just about invisible with his high Stealth.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote