View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #18
DrewAstolfi67

Default Re: Sword and Planet Sandbox Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Another level of the Elric books that may not be obvious to a lot of people (or maybe it is?) is that Stormbringer is a metaphor for a nasty drug addiction, like heroine or meth. It literally enables Elric to get out of bed in the morning but it also makes him ruin the lives of his friends and loved ones (and sometimes kill them).
Ok. My mind is blown - I read these when I was in 6th grade and did NOT make the connection between Stormbringer and addiction. Now that I have lived a long time and seen people fall to those things it makes total sense. But I did not see it until you said it - MB b/c I never reread the Elric books!

However, back to Sword and Planet: Moorcock actually wrote The City of the Beast and a sequel I cannot remember. It was a homage to Burroughs. And better than Moorcock was Leigh Brackett; her Ginger Star series was a direct inspiration for my piece (and a reminder to new thread members it is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa4bizlc0i...Draft.pdf?dl=0).

In a way, Cidri seemed like a Dyson Sphere, or MB a Dyson Swarm. Which is a little Sword and Planet...
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote