View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
tbeard1999

Default Re: Distinguishing Edged Weapons from Hafted Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
My thoughts would be don't mess with it, play GURPS if you want more detailed combat. Differences between swords and axes are somewhat built into the damage table. Most axes have a damage curve that has a higher minimum and a lower maximum, whereas swords give you more min and max.
Then don’t use any of these rules. But as the purpose of this thread is to explore ways to distinguish hafted and edged weapons, I think I’ll continue.

Also, your assertion about the damage curves is mostly incorrect. The hatchet, mace, morningstar, military pick do the exact same damage as their sword counterparts of the same ST. A ST15 battleaxe uses the same 3d6 bell curve that ST14 Two Handed Swords, ST16 Greatswords and ST13 2 handed Bastard Swords use. At ST 8,the club does exactly the same damage as a dagger.

Only the hammer, small axe and great axe have higher minimums and lower maximums than their edged weapon counterparts. That’s only 3 of the 9 hafted weapons.

And there’s no particular rhyme or reason as to why these weapons use different probability curves. The hatchet, small axe, great axe and battleaxe are all axes, but some use bell curves, while others use single die linear probabilities. The club, mace and hammer are bashing weapons, but the mace uses a 2d bell curve and the other two use 1 die linear probabilities.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 03-17-2018 at 12:16 AM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote