View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #8
Shadekeep

Default Re: Prootwaddles redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
In our campaigns, the heavily-exploited underclass and frequently enslaved race tended to be the hobgoblins.
I use hobgoblins a lot as the underclass of goblin society. They are the guards, soldiers, menials, and labourers of goblin society, freeing the goblins up for more rarefied pursuits and magical endeavours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
In some cities I could see Prootwaddles as living in slums and engaging in various important tasks otherwise taboo, e.g., disposing of garbage or bodies.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. They would essentially be the "untouchable" lowest caste of a town or culture, relegated to that work no one wants but which they themselves don't mind. Such towns might even have a Society for the Advancement of Prootwaddles, dedicated to (doomed) attempts to help them rise above their lot.

I can think of a couple ways of rehabilitating the race without breaking canon. One is that there is a tribe of original prootwaddles on some distant island nation which is intelligent and cultured, and that the ones encountered elsewhere are the mad and deficient who are ejected from the nation as part of an almost eugenic purity program by the leaders. Another is that the race is may be laboring under the ancient curse of a demon so that all are born mad, and a powerful wizard might be able to lift this curse and free the race one day.

Thinking more about it, I do like the aboriginal prootwaddle culture notion and might work that into something...