View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 12:06 AM   #20
Agemegos

Default Re: Any GURPS stats for black holes, pulsars, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
I'm wondering at what point that detail no longer holds true - where the radiation becomes stronger than, say, five hundred thousand d6 damage per second.
Let's see. 120 parsecs per hour is 4.22 × 10^14 metres per second, and the interstellar medium is around 50 000 000 molecules per cubic metre. Divide by Avogadro's number. Molar mass of hydrogen is two grams. 0.000 07 kg/m²/s. ½mv² = 6.23 × 10^24 watts per square metre. Frontal area of a speedster would be a bit over six square metres. Call that, say, four by ten to the twenty-fifth power joules per second.

Spaceships beam damage table. Treat as a neutral particle beam. Four by ten to the nineteenth MJ. Nineteen powers of ten from 3 MJ => nineteen doublings from 3 dice decadal damage. Three million d6 of damage going "dink!" every second.

Quote:
That might be more due to the physics of the Bergenholm generator than purely the shields.
Maybe. I have an idea that I remember reading about matter impacting the wall-shields and being smashed, besides imposing a drag, and not about it being turned free outside the wall-shield. But I'm not about to hunt the reference down.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 02-16-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote