View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 11:47 PM   #106
Gollum

Default Re: Questions while reading rules more accurately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
Yeah but they're sticking together.
They're not retre...
Yes, they are.

Look at 1:29 for instance. An acrobatic retreating dodge (surely while all-out defending too).

I don't understand what you are looking for with that new post. Do you want to prove that retreating while dodging doesn’t exist in reality and in fictions? Or that all dodges use footstep (i.e., retreat) anyway? Do you want to demonstrate that the optional retreating rule doesn’t make sense at all?

The retreat option is not a rule that is missing. It is one more optional rule that we have if we want to use it. Which is not even a mandatory to play GURPS. The only rules you have to use when playing GURPS are those explained in the Quick Start section, page 8 and 9 of the Basic Set. “Got all that? Good. Now you can play GURPS. The rest is just detail.”, as it is written.

So, if you don’t like the Retreat option, no problem. Just drop it. GURPS will still work perfectly because it is precisely designed for that: you can use the options you like and drop the others to get exactly the flavor you want in your games. And if you don’t like GURPS, and prefer the way another roleplaying game handles things, just play that game. D&D is a great game too. I’m not kidding here. I really like D&D. As well as Call of Cthulhu or Fate.

But I like GURPS much more because he offers me many more options to make my character do exactly what I want him to do. The choice to dodge or to dodge and retreat with a true difference between those two kinds of defense is one more freedom, not a constraint.

Last edited by Gollum; 04-30-2022 at 12:01 AM.