View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #7
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Weapon Adaptation (Broadsword to Two-Handed Sword or vice versa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
either way, I would allow it with the added ST penalty.

I zweihander held with one hand is not easy to wield, but with enough ST you can, and therefor should be able to use it with the broadsword skill.

Many fantasy characters use "giant swords" one handed, they def have the weapon adaptation (two handed to broadsword).
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Ah, in that case, I would not do it that way then.

Broadsword skill is a poor name for the skill since its really just One-handed Sword skill. Which is what I would name it as in my games too.

the perk means:

A weapons to B skill.

Using A weapons in B skill.

Broadsword skill is "Any balanced, 2- to 4-foot blade wielded in one hand".

Fighting with a sword in one hand is different from with two hands, though the techniques can be similar.

EDIT::

Personally, I make another weapon skills into techniques you can buy off. So if you take Broadsword as your main skill then Two-handed sword becomes a Hard (or average if you want) technique with the same penalty as defaulting (-4).
All this is contrary to what Martial Arts says, which is that if you have high enough ST, you can wield a normally two-handed weapon one-handed, and you must switch to using the appropriate one-handed skill, no perk required. The only perks you might need are either version of the Huge Weapons perk*, either to boost effective ST or to deal with the weapon's grip being too big for your hands.

* These listed along side each other in Power-Ups 2, I think a lot of sources that have something called "Huge Weapons" only have one or the other version of the perk.