View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 11:12 PM   #16
Lovewyrm

Default Re: Questions while reading rules more accurately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I think you're missing that there's nothing preventing the "cowardly" thug from attacking. He starts at Reach C (punching range) of the karateka; the karateka punches at him, and he Retreats to Reach 1. On his turn, he Steps back into Reach C, and punches the karateka (who may similarly Retreat, then come back).
Definetely mock, or at the very least, curse at the thug. Just imagine the fight. Moving an entire yard and then coming back?

Imagine staying in one spot and some monkey thug jumps around like that every second.
Irritating, even if it's technically effective.

Edit:
Also potentially needlessly escalating.

What would YOU do if you got the upper hand on that smart aleck after doing you dirty like that? I'd have to be playing a really darn level headed cop or something equally professional to not at least wise crack back, if not worse.

For example: Imagine grabbing mr springbean here, and you're standing next to a (n open) window.
"You enjoy jumping, huh?"

Edit2:
And while attacking instead of evaluating is mathematically better, I would still do it in this case, due to psychology.

If you were the springbean thug, and you've gotten away with karateka whiffing his catfight slap punches.
What would you do if he suddenly stopped playing along, still defending, but not attacking, and his eyes now scan you with intent.
You can see the gears moving, the karateka is hatching a plan.

Would you still be doing your monkey routine? Maybe...but breaking a pattern tends to mess with people, at least a little bit.

After all, who would fight like this?
A thug who has entered the metaverse and has read the GURPS source books and knows what he can and can't do?
Or a believable human? :P

Last edited by Lovewyrm; 04-27-2022 at 11:50 PM.