View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
jason taylor

Default Re: Getting the Gods into the Magic System

Suppose (I haven't got it yet) each jurisdiction has a given amount of Mana points which react on each patron god's jurisdiction. Athena as mistress of a thousand crafts spends so many points on her favorite heroes ship, and Poseidon has so many from the ocean. Naturally they negotiate and agree that the hero can come but only on a craft made of wood and only on a certain rate of speed according to what oar and sail can do. So Athena has to negotiate with Artemis or Pan or whomever is relevant to get the wood. All this sounds sort of like an international conference.

I am getting jumbled up. I hope I am helping more then I am clouding things.

Athena of course as weaver, not to mention one of the smartest of them, cheats Poseidon by inventing sails.

You know, though, this sounds like a Miles Vorkosigan Fanfiction I read where Miles commented on how he might borrow some gravel for a mosaic from neighboring counts. I wonder if gods in a given pantheon do this: trade elements from their jurisdiction to others. Probably in this deal Athena would have to give something to Poseidon to allow ships to sail. Maybe every few voyages Charybdis gets sailors to eat?

Last edited by jason taylor; 03-20-2021 at 06:28 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote