View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
Gef

Default Re: Getting the Gods into the Magic System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
In the setting, magic comes directly from the gods and requires petitioning the gods correctly...no one god oversees all aspects...leaning towards some version of path/book magic...there are 67 major ones...eight competing major gods responsible for the element of fire...Some gods have much broader jurisdictions
Hi Greg, I had all the same considerations for my present campaign. First I added some spells from standard magic to the path magic list, then I divided the list into spheres of influence, 6-9 spells per, with some overlap but every category had something unique. Then I built paths around divine portfolios combining three spheres plus animal spells for the animals important to each god. If needed, I grouped gods together to make one path; that's how I get around the variable size jurisdiction. For instance, the path of Mars AND Venus. There's also an a la carte method for gods who don't line up neatly with my spheres.

You may have seen my Magic Vegas thread before and passed it over if you weren't thinking about these matters, but I think it's worth a second look now that you're tackling the same questions: forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=162430
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote