View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
tomc

Default Re: Thrown spells using missile weapon drange adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Wizards were plenty good enough in Classic and have got a lot of help in Legacy through the staff changes. A major change that makes them even more effective seems unwise. I'd be more interested in something that gave heroes more of a chance against wizards.
In a one-on-one cage match, wizards have a big edge. That doesn't bother me. I like my magic rare, scary, and a bit mysterious. But in a longer dungeon setting, the wizard usually sits out most fights, so they won't be used up if something big comes along.

As I recall, the staff changes (and 3 ST limit on missile spells) were made to give the wizard a chance to contribute more often in a standard dungeon crawl, rather than saving him/her self until a "big gun" was needed. I was thinking that increasing the range of thrown spells would lead to them being used more often, adding some diversity and creativity to combats.

It could also make an IQ 9 or 10 wizard actually dangerous. Thrown spells like trip or drop weapon don't do damage on their own, but can be lethal if thrown on a foe already engaged in combat.

To me it seems kind of goofy that a wizard has to run up and get close before they can use certain kinds of magic on you, while others spells work from much farther away.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote