View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 04:38 PM   #3
Plane

Default Re: Magic - could you buff an enemy wizard with a non-resistable spell to track them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Seek Magic at any significant range will probably just find some random lasting spell or minor enchantment.
True, though if you keep casting it over and over, each time you learn about them and can opt to exclude them from future castings. Those -1 penalties (M13) would add up though...

This makes me wonder, if the nearest thing is somehow protected by resistance, would the info spell go on to detect the next nearest thing, or does having a single highly-resisted thing in your viscinity basically ruin your ability to Seek other things of that nature since it will always target the nearest guarded thing?

If you fail to detect that guarded thing (a resist) then you couldn't even opt to exclude that thing to bypass it... sounds rough.

I'd almost think "detect the next nearest" should be a policy, as otherwise a constant failure to sense magic (when you know you have a magic thing nearby, say your own spell) would actually tip you off "there is a magic thing closer than my spell which must be scryguarded" if it didn't skip to telling you the next-closest thing.

- - -

I'm also just noticing M102's specification of a "significant" magical item which makes me wonder what would warrant and "insignificant" one that wouldn't be picked up by this spell...

Also wondering how this Info spell's "Regular" prereq (Detect Magic) works different from Magery...
that ability only detects permanent magic items, while Detect
Magic detects items, spells, magical creatures, and any other ongoing
magical effect.
M11's Regular category I think maybe you could specify something like "Detect the nearest spell to me" but then you'd be at -1/yard away that nearest spell is, plus the extra -5 for not being able to see/touch that spell?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote