View Single Post
Old 05-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #8
Celjabba

Default Re: [Banestorm] Why is the Cardien Council of Lords full of barons and vicounts?

I agree that the number in the OP are way too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
...if they're rich enough to be on the council, they're rich enough to bribe their way into higher titles - as Gold & Appel Inc says, money talks, but in that sort of culture, it should be saying 'give me a better title').
A possibility is that the titles are "set in stone", unlikely or unable to be "upgraded".
In such a system, a minor noble created baron of X would have his descendant several generation later still be Baron of X, even if they now own a third of the country and are the King most trusted advisor.
And the reverse for the much respected but powerless Duke of Y, whose ruined family now only own a small manor house.

Another possibility, pride in the ancestry.
As a Rohan once said :
"Roi ne puis, duc ne daigne, Rohan suis "
"King I cannot, Duke i wont deign, I am Rohan"
Although to be honest ... her son did accept the duke title :)

In this case, you would have nobles that prefer the old and respected family title of baron/viscount rather than a newly created Duke with little history or respect.

And yet another explanation, which iirc doesn't really fit Cardien but would make sense in some other places : there are only a few noble lines left, with many titles concentrated on one person.
So, the patriarch carry the family Duke title, and his sons, grand-sons, brothers, nephews, .. split the dozens minor family title between them.
If the old duke is really long-lived, you could have several younger family members on the council.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote