View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #89
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Combat]: Do you bow, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Of course in the real world some talented people may improve MUCH faster with minimal practice. But I was using the shorthand of experience to bolster my statement that I can't be working from anything but default.
I'm rather embarrassed as I too have stated how the points to hours ratio is an optional loose rule at best.

Right in front of me is a distance for missile weapons though, trivially point blank. Of course my arm is only arm length, so right in front of me would be much closer than half whatever that may measure. I'm using subjective terms here. I would hope context makes their meaning clear.

People fall all the time globally. But no single person falls 50% of the time when in combat and not dodging furiously or across uneven broken ground.

But apparently statistics including numerous out of shape panicking police officers means that Gurps adventurers that aren't failing fright checks or moving fail just as often. It's weird that default Gurps characters are slightly superhuman in every other regard.
I don't know why you comparing walking and shooting a target at 6',

We all walk*, we have for the sake of using this thread's context 'a high skill in walking', so high in fact it would take severe negative mods for us to have to "roll" our walking skill even in combat. Most falling in normal circumstances would be more akin to critical failure, not a skill 10 person missing a close range attack.

Default GURPS characters are not slightly superhuman in all other regards, your citing someone with skill of 10 in combat, that's pretty average and unskilled in GURPS terms. If I have that skill level and swing at a chap standing in front of me (even at 6' if I'm using a reach 2 weapon), I'll miss half the time even if he doesn't go to any specific effort to avoid my blow.

I also don't know why you feel you have to infer panicked and out of shape police officers. Yes they are not delta force, but equally combat is actually hard, especially for skill 10 combatants (also leaving aside not all combat situation are optimal)

Those are the stats, I applaud a system that actually says we'll pay attention to the stats, not what everyone "knows" is true or possible.

Especially as when it comes to combat people who actually have direct experience are in the distinct minority.

Remember also that with just a second's aim you will be adding significant bonus, even just making a determined AoA you'll increase you chances. in a non combat situation I think you'll find both of these actually take place an awful lot

*generally speaking

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-23-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote