View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Some edits for clarity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow42 View Post
Cards in your hand are not items, so it doesn't matter if you've got 2 "big" items in your hand. You can only have one of them in play though.
"One of them" refers to Big items here, just so it's clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow42 View Post
Many one-shot cards are items (they have a gold piece value on them). Those can be played on the table to get them out of you hand, most people turn them sideways like other unused items to remind you that you're not getting their bonuses.
"Most people" may be an exaggeration. The rules are intentionally vague on whether one-shots that have not yet been used should be turned sideways or not, because it doesn't matter.

However, one thing I have noticed is people who set up an overlapping set of cards where most of them cannot be read. This is shady, at best; any card you have in play is PUBLIC knowledge, and an opponent should be able to look at your layout and see what cards you have. If you're stacking them so the card names can't be read, you need to quit doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
You are under no obligation to play your cards. One-shot Items can be played either from your hand or from the table, so it is best to keep them in your hand so your opponents don't know about them. You should really only play cards you don't intend to use to the table if you want to perform a trade with someone or you need to avoid Charity.
I can see other reasons to play cards down, including "I have a Wishing Ring, so send that Curse somewhere else" and "I have a +5 one-shot and I'm not afraid to use it!" "It is best" implies a value judgment that I don't think is warranted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
The exception for this is after a combat with a helper: you can give a helper any cards previously agreed upon.
You may give a helper any cards out of the Treasure draw from the combat, as per the agreement reached when the helper joined the fight. But you cannot give away any OTHER cards that you couldn't normally trade, such as Classes or Curses. (And you cannot give non-Item Treasures out of the combat draw to anyone other than the helper.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
If you have more than 5 cards you don't discard, you give to the lowest LEvel player. If you have non-Big Itens you could play them to carry and avoid giving cards away. If you are the lowest Level (or tied) you may discard.
Note that you don't have to discard Itens, you could give/discard Monster, extra Classes or Races.
You could sell the Itens if you want, from your hand or from play, if it is 1000GP or more.
Everything Igor says here is about Charity, just so it's crystal clear. (BTW, it's "Items," not "Itens.")

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23