View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #32
mburr0003

Default Re: Why holy water? And other questions about holy-powered PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Re the idea of using holy water in exorcisms, etc.: Definitely sensible. I recently came up with my own use for holy water & other "clerical consumables" as aids in "cleansing" tasks. Nothing fancy, or original: I just stole the idea from P. Dell'Orto's lovely Spell Components piece in Companion 3, treating consumables like holy water as a college component (replacing "college of spells" with "Turning, Exorcism, and other miscellaneous cleansing tasks"). I'll be tweeting the idea, and follow-ups to it, from tomorrow.
I've been doing that since I had a PC make the requisite Hidden Lore check to "know what Holy Water was good for" and decide that it was basically useless. So I expanded it to give bonuses to Exorcisms and bonuses as a Spell component to spells (anything that could be 'cleansing or driving away Evil' related) and to healing checks with Esoteric Medicine.

As soon as I did the above the PCs all started carrying one or two vials, several carry whole 'flasks' now since it's basically splashed around liberally when the Cleric starts getting in the weeds with penalties (especially the self-healing spells and checks). The Cleric also went in for an aspergilium 'conversion' on their mace and liberally splashes it around in fights with undead, to make the standard 'after fight' Exorcism easier (in unconsecrated areas undead have a habit of not staying redeaded, so they like to consecrate areas and put all dead and undead to rest properly).
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote