View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #76
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Day will join Pothi and get introduced to some of the other crew.

[rolls...]
Day slides right in. He doesn't have to fake enjoying himself: he's already in his element. He doesn't have to work hard to avoid the morale section: they get fawned over by other people. This night is slow, a warmup to what is to come.

Quote:
Observing the wagers being placed on when they will first see combat, Day asks Pothi, "So, what do you think? Two weeks? Three?"
Pothi: "Two weeks? do you know something I don't? It should take us three just to get into position, and four until we have the possibility of seeing the enemy. If our captain is trigger happy, we might then see a few shots on week five, but I think we can make it until week eight before the maneuvers break down and we start shooting. And that will probably be a warning shot. We outnumber them pretty badly. I bet we can finish the war without getting into a real fight."

Pothi is a touch optimistic. Daymar , between being a competent navigator (which pothi doesn't know about) and having been briefed for the mission (which we should really hope pothi doesn't know about), knows this ship is built for hyperspace speed, and will probably see action in scouting duties almost as soon as they arrive on the front lines (week three to five). Of course, he also knows its going to be taken over by dreadstormers, so it either won't fire a shot (not with this crew) or its going to get into a fight very quickly.

Quote:
Edit: How accessible are the kitchens for the mess Day eats in? Now that his powers are returning, he was thinking of stopping in to thank them for the wonderful cooking, and take the opportunity to point out, with Suggestion, that the flour is "contaminated with rat droppings", and the cook had best throw it out. Just wondering how viable that is to do.
The mess halls and their adjacent kitchens are highly accessible, being tucked in right next to bunks and bathrooms. The hardest part is getting the suggestion to all of the cooks who feed you (different cooks are on different shifts).

Telling a cook to throw out the flour is easy enough. You do have to deal with two of them (buddy system). A single use of suggestion will only last one meal.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote