View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Cannot Speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I've put it on one or two demo game PCs, but I find that it has a bit of a practical problem of enforcement. One can't tell the player not to say anything, and that soon becomes the player suggesting party courses of action, and that soon ends up feeling like the character communicating smoothly with the rest of the party and probably with NPCs...
I suppose it depends on your group's tolerance for metagaming. My experience is that players with mute characters roleplay it fully.
Quote:
One can insist that the communication must be something that could be signed or otherwise conveyed, but continually saying "How do you convey that? What are you gesturing?" gets kind of boring very fast.
If the player is not speaking, except for the really meta like "I rolled an eight" and "Do you want another soda?" then this isn't a problem. Regardless you could have the PC just roll Gesture to communicate something, (or use an actual sign language, which isn't a problem if the PC's are all Sandmen :) ). They could also buy Gesture up high enough and take No Nuisance Rolls for it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote