Thread: What is RAW?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
Prince Charon

Default Re: What is RAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
RAW can also be used as the opposite of RAI (rules as intended). That is, it can be used to describe something that is possible if you interpret the letter of the rules literally, but possibly wasn't intended. (This usage of "RAW" comes up a lot on sites that discuss Dungeons & Dragons, where exploiting the exact letter of the rules to determine what your character can and can't do is positively expected!)
E.g. by a literal reading of parts of the RAW in several D&D books, it is possible for a first level kobold (IIRC) to ascend to godhood by doing a specific sequence of things, but most people who know the details are almost certain or totally certain that the RAI would not allow it, and most DMs would not allow it either.

GURPS does not have so many literalist RAW exploits, largely because of how it's structured compared to D&D. Of course, I like to think that GURPS attracts fewer minmaxers and ruleplayers who go for that sort of thing, but that may be optimistic on my part.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote