View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 04:01 AM   #1
Ketsuban

Default Statting the Valkyria

I'm in the process of trying to write up Valkyria Chronicles as a campaign setting. I don't think it's unreasonable for the players in a campaign to want to play a Valkyria (although I'll probably limit the party to one total) so I need to work out the appropriate point cost.

Just about everyone in the Valkyria Chronicles setting is distantly descended from the Valkyrur, a group who invaded Europa from the north, displaced the native Darcsen and settled. Rare individuals (always women) win some sort of genetic lottery and heal unusually quickly.

If one of these women undergoes extreme physical trauma such as a life-threatening injury, they can become a Valkyria - their eyes turn red, their hair turns silver, they glow with a blue flame and they gain the ability to move incredibly fast and shrug off essentially all conventional attacks. If they also take up a Valkyrian lance and shield they can use them to fire energy blasts capable of destroying a tank (to anyone else, Valkyrian weapons are just cool-shaped rocks). In addition, they can activate the Final Flame, sacrificing their life in a massive explosion.

The fast-healing is about the only easy bit, since that's just a level or two of Regeneration. After that it gets hairy:
  • How do you model traits you always have but which are disabled until you undergo significant trauma?
  • Would the ability to cause a particular class of weapon to do something nobody else can do be handled by Imbuement with limitations?
  • Social Regard (Feared) matches the way people react given the cultural significance of the Valkyrur - there's a religion, Yggdism, which venerates them - but you can't tell someone's a Valkyria by looking at them so it should only apply to people who know. What's the best way to handle this?
Ketsuban is offline   Reply With Quote