View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #112
Phantasm

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I couldn't tell you what the cost would be for CMP weapons, Dad bought the one I have now in the early 1960's before I was born. As to the age for being able to buy rifles, that would be under control of State laws. I don't know what Maine's would be, although I would be surprised at a twelve year old living in a rural area not being able to buy a single shot .22LR in the 1950's anywhere in the U.S.

In Missouri;
I was born the last year you did not need to take a Hunter's Safety Course to get a Hunting License (1966). I graduated High School in 1984, students who were over sixteen could get Driver's Licenses, during Deer and Turkey Seasons students would have rifles or shotguns in their cars where they had hunted before or after school (with the windows down and the cars unlocked). Until the Clinton era gun laws of the 1990's, I don't remember any significant difficulties for anyone old enough to drive being able to buy rifles, shotguns, or pistols. I bought .22LR at Wal-Mart when I was thirteen, but I did not try to buy firearms.
In Pennsylvania in the late-'70s/early-'80s, fifteen or sixteen was the age for buying longarms (rifles and shotguns) and ammunition in sporting goods stores. (Not sure about pistols, to be honest; we didn't have many folks carrying them.) Hunter Safety courses were held in the local volunteer fire departments annually, and both boys and girls entering their teens attended. In a lot of ways, the Hunter Safety course was a rite of passage. Only half of those who attended actually went on to hunt, though.

I would imagine rural Maine would be much the same.

First day of deer season one year, the school district decided to stay open (they'd traditionally had it closed that day for the past twenty-odd years; school district formed in '60 when the population of the four townships comprising it outgrew the single-building K-12 schools they'd each had). Half the students and half the teachers called in 'sick' because they were going to be out hunting. That was the first and last year we had school the first day of deer season. ;)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote