View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
dripton

Default Re: [DF/Fantasy] A few Questions

I think you have the 5 most useful DF books. I think DF11 (Power Ups) and DFM1 (Monsters) are also very useful. The others are highly optional. The only other book you really need is Magic. The most useful Pyramid for me is 3/60 because it has the new spell prerequisites for DF. Next for me was 3/26 because it has underwater combat rules, which really should be in Basic but aren't. I use just a little bit of Martial Arts (additional weapons, a few combat maneuvers like Committed and Defensive Attack, slip/sideslip, multiple blocks).

You can convert prices into whatever units you want, but it will be more work. I might go with simple decimal currency ($1 per cp, $10 per sp, $100 per gp) in my next DF game, so that we can use fantasy flavor while keeping the math trivial.

Balancing combats is hard. Depends on how tactically skilled your players are, what kind of numbers you throw at them, what optional rules you use, how much time they get to rest between fights, etc. My advice is to start by erring on the side of too easy rather than too hard, and gradually increase difficulty as your players show what they can handle.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote