View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Throwing Lots of Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You're missing the direction of the arrow. I'm really saying "Fast-Draw at 16+ is a prerequisite for this advantage" – I'm acknowledging that no serious user will actually need the halved penalties clause. However, as Gunslinger, Heroic Archer, Trained by a Master, and Weapon Master (and indeed Gadgeteer and lots of other cinematic advantages) do not have skill prerequisites, it's more consistent to leave that off. Which means that there has to be some kind of handling for low or no Fast-Draw skill.

My advantage definition aims to solve two problems:
  1. Reduce the penalties for lots of ranged attacks to the point where it's a viable option to throw lots of weapons.
  2. Halve the amount of dice-rolling by removing nuisance rolls that may well make lots of attacks impossible if failed.
It improves game flow to do it this way, which I deem critical for the sorts of games that feature cinematic ninja and the like. If you prefer, change:
Halve all Fast-Draw penalties to ready throwing weapons. If you still have the relevant Fast-Draw skill at effective level of 16+, you don't have to roll at all!
to:
You automatically succeed at Fast-Draw rolls for throwing weapons.
And add:
Prerequisite: Fast-Draw (any thrown weapon) at 16+.
That could be 18+, 20+, or whatever if you prefer. But not rolling is simply better than rolling lots at complicated penalties.
my point is I do like
Halve all Fast-Draw penalties to ready throwing weapons. If you still have the relevant Fast-Draw skill at effective level of 16+, you don't have to roll at all!
as that actually does meat my dentition of high skill.
And adding the reverent to it it point out something I missed it actually helps with throwing outside your speciality such as Master Hatchet thrower tries to use throwing knives.

I we objecting to to use base skill, which would indeed be better written skill prerequisite 8)

Edit: ahh here why I missed the idea for Relevant, Fast draw doesn't have a default.
Perhaps that somthing Master Thrower could do, give Fast-draw a default.

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote