View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Pre-Enlightenment Horror, Urban Fantasy, et cetra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Concur - especially given the topic of Horror, we need to be thinking of the fact that if the Supernatural did exist (and the majority of our ancestors seem to have taken this for granted) then we, like our ancestors are right to be afraid of it. Recent fantasy - especially RPGs - have made us far too comfortable with the idea of magic, whilst for most of history it was viewed with great suspicion if not fear and hatred. Any given historical event might be mistaken identity, but "kill it with fire*" turns out to be a reasonable and rational response to the supernatural in most folklore.
The Dresden Files is unusual in that it actually probes the horrific consequences that magic might have even if used for the best of motives ... although it also shows some remarkably dark magic being used for benevolent purposes: discipline and control are a big thing in 'verse.

And friendly elves? Victorian bowdlerisation, polished off by Tolkien. Historically no-one in their right minds would mess with the fae - to add to the comments above, there was a historical rumour that the fae paid an annual farm of human souls to hell as a sort of "protection" racket.

*iron, salt, holy water ... whatever. Just kill it.
The supernatural has never been seen as purely a horror-show. For fae-adjacent matters, there's Brownies. I can't locate even a guess at when they entered folklore but apparently the name dates to the early 15th century, not a Victorian invention by any stretch. Most societies had gods that were at least potentially beneficent. Generally there's a lot of helpful tutelary spirits out there.