View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Is Wild Talent a bad deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Using "I'm taking mental at 1/5 to avoid paying the extra +50%" is pretty sneaky though =/

Usually it wouldn't SEEM to be a problem since modular abilities tend to be slower and more expensive, except in this case of trying to avoid taking +100% by taking +50% and then 1/5 cost on +0%

So a while back I was building a suite of mind control powers for dreadstormers (I was trying to set expectations and streamline character building) and I ran into this with mind control: it was cheaper to take slow and steady permanent brainwashing and a suggestion version of mind control as alternate abilities of each other. This saved a lot of points, and made me a bit nervous for the reasons you list above.

So I made a thread. Its item #2.

I ended up allowing it. Alternative abilities reduces the cost of abilities overall, especially the cost of related abilities that do slightly different things. That's what its made for. Looking at the psionic powers book, taking those abilities as alternatives to each other regardless of their base is by far the simplest way to run things. In fact, different limitation sets on one advantage is perhaps the most appropriate way to use alternate advantages.

Yes, it makes things cheaper, but if you don't want your powers to be a bit cheaper, why are you allowing alternative abilities in the first place? its very much an optional rule, its just that powers tend to be a bit expensive, especially when you can't use them at the same time... and that's certainly true of modular abilities.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote