View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #19
SydneyFreedberg

Default Re: [Space] [Racial Templates] Really Alien Aliens

Good point that Charisma +3 shifts the Reaction table one result up, which is potentially overpowered even for the “natural diplomats”/social engineering masters that the male Striders are evolved to be…. especially since they have another +3 from racial Reputation with most inhabitants of the galaxy. (Though those who resent Quartet influence react to them at -4). I think I should dial male Striders down a bit: maybe Charisma down to 2, with higher levels in Common Optional Traits, and definitely moving the “Smooth Operator” talent to Common Optional Traits.

But the Striders are supposed to be softly superpowered in terms of social skills — it’s the secret of their success as a species. Basically, I’d say the +1 charisma both genders get reflects that they have really good mirror neurons (or whatever alien equivalent) and socialize well with all species. The males get an extra +1 (or more) on Charisma because the ones that didn’t have it didn’t get to mate…. And then the racial Reputation is largely the females’ collective contribution: Everyone in the galaxy will see a 9-foot-tall armless biped coming and think, “oh wow, it’s a Strider, they’re reliable trade partners, they’re rich and powerful, and if you **** them off too bad they stomp you flat… from orbit.”

Last edited by SydneyFreedberg; 08-05-2022 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo
SydneyFreedberg is offline   Reply With Quote