View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 10:18 AM   #18
Pursuivant

Default Re: [Space] [Racial Templates] Really Alien Aliens

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but be really careful with handing out more than one level of Racial Charisma or Talent. Move the more "uber" traits to optional or demote them to Quirks, or Perks.

Remember, things that define a species don't necessarily apply to individuals. Humans are warlike, but individual humans might be pacifists. Humans are social, but individual humans might be loners.

Based on those thoughts, seriously consider toning down the Strider charisma bonuses and perhaps eliminating them for females. Maybe move the male Smooth Operator talent to optional. A species with racial Bloodlust and a potential Reputation for genocide isn't exactly going to put members of other species at their ease.

On a game mechanical level, consider that +3 for Charisma and +1 for Smooth Operator automatically guarantees no Reaction modifier of worse than Poor (i.e., very little chance of betray or hostility), a typical Reaction of Good, and a strong possibility of a Very Good reaction. That mean that your typical random alien will really like any male strider, even the nerds and psychologically screwed up ones (assuming Striders allow such individuals out in public). The really talented ones can charm just about anyone.

While individual Striders might be socially gifted, it seems a bit extreme to make the entire species that good. Logical reasons to do so would be if you're designing a natural "diplomat" species or a species which represents a real challenge for opposing social influence users.

Mind you, I'm not telling you you're wrong, just that there might be some game balance problems with your current Strider build.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote