View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: You got magic in my scifi game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdenton View Post
If you run a scifi game what do you think of MBAN? None at all, some limited stuff, equal to technology or full on unstoppable force?
For my Harpyias setting - which takes some inspiration from Star Wars - the plan is for technology to largely dominate, although the bulk of it is superscience, so some people may still consider that simply Magic by (Yet) Another Name.

There is some Woo, in the form of a type of psionics, and it's potentially powerful Woo (albeit nowhere near on the level of the Force), but not something the PC's are likely to encounter. Indeed, I only currently have three living people planned in the setting who have such powers. One is basically the immortal god-emperor of Earth - and because Earth is time-consuming enough to travel to/from that nobody* can survive the journey (you have to send a short-term generation ship if you're sending anything other than a tomb), the characters all assume said being doesn't actually exist. One is the creator of the mostly-hostile "alien" species humans encounter, and lives on a world that human technology can't travel to... and only the last of the psionic characters even knows he exists. The last is secretly the head of one of the setting's larger corporations, and has been such for several generations (he was, in fact, the original founder of it), but is largely benevolent. Characters literally cannot interact with the first two (they're completely out of reach), and would be unlikely to encounter the third unless I decided to run a campaign involving them working directly for him as some sort of specialized troubleshooters. In theory they could get it in their heads that kidnapping/assassinating him would be a great idea, but honestly they'd be unlikely to even reach him, given the quality of his (arguably-superfluous) bodyguards.