View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #1020
csm

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I did a little digging and found:

So: A few questions.

* How often do you visit the Steve Jackson Games front page/Daily Illuminator?
* Do you follow any of our social media channels?
* What can we do to put the news in front of you regularly?

The world is a flood of information, and it is our job to make sure _our_ information reaches you. We have clearly failed in this instance, so we are left trying to figure out the best way to alert you to news about new games and expansions.
I think the main problem is it's quite easy to tune out those sources when they're a flood of other material that isn't of interest.

I follow the Daily Illuminator. During the Muchkin Shakespeare Kickstarter I pretty much tuned it out. (And the guest artist editions, and the XMen edition, and the ... ) I also tuned out the OGRE material. And the other card games / board games haven't kept my interest. I knew that Discworld and Mars Attacks were coming out but wasn't sure exactly when they were hitting stores. But I'd stopped listening because it was Munchkin and OGRE so it was easier to ignore the message than to parse it.

Following anything on Twitter is pretty much useless. And there again, most of the efforts are on Munchkin and OGRE so it's easier to scroll on by.

I haven't checked the forums in a long time because (as mentioned before) I'm finding more enjoyment and more "hackability" in other games. So my interest in GURPS has waned significantly (and this is from someone who has made an effort in the past to collect everything in print and PDF).

I don't want to hamper the efforts of Munchkin and OGRE promotion, but it seems like GURPS gets the "Oh yeah, and here's GURPS" treatment in the marketing communication. Part of this is there hasn't been a lot of exciting releases (unless you're already invested as a GURPS aficionado). That there were two hardbacks coming out should have been much more exciting to me, but the message got lost in the excitement for the other products. I think I've remembered more about the Simon's Cat game than I have about the GURPS releases. And I'm more likely to see Bill and Ted / Simon's Cat at my FLGS than I am the new GURPS books.

I'm heartened that Dungeon Fantasy is trying to pull in new blood into GURPS. But I'm also worried that part of the reason it's taking a turn toward unprofit-ability is precisely the reason why GURPS as a whole isn't exciting anymore: few people who haven't already been exposed to the system are inclined to pick it up.

(And I'll say it again: I think the license for GURPS needs to be broadened and expanded to more open licensing. That's part of the reason I'm more open to other systems - because I can release my creations and not have to worry about stepping on licensing restrictions).
csm is offline   Reply With Quote