View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 12:48 AM   #28
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: IQ gain and free talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I like the above approach and would add, only for my own game that is, that increasing TP do not automatically allow the selection of new talents. Just as when a character increases ST they do not automatically get handed a new weapon (they must seek out the weapon and either buy it or find it in a dungeon). I would require the character to seek out a trainer or spend some time on their own, and either pay a dollar cost associated with the training or provide some service to the one doing the training. This way there is an "in game" as well as a meta cost for each new talent.
Thanks, I agree, and I'd have mentioned that too but my post was too long already :) Original ITL already had some such stipulations about learning new talents and spells, and I always used them, but unfortunately they didn't make it into the new edition. It's only reasonable, and more realistic, to enforce a learning/training period for the acquisition of any new skill. The skill doesn't become active until both the XP has been shilled up AND the learning period has been satisfied (with plenty of room there for the GM to allow partial use or a limited attempt to try something that has been nearly if not quite completely mastered).