View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: Creature ST from size in hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Adult humans avg ST 10 and 150 pounds. sqrt(150/1.5) = 10

Large 1-hex figures are 300 pounds, hence avg ST 14 (c.f. Reptile men and gargoyles)

2-hex figures are around 1000 pounds, hence avg ST for a horse or centaur should be ST 25

3-hex figures are up to 2000 pounds, ST 36 (which is near but not at the top of Giant ST)

4-hex dragons weigh 3000 pounds hence their ST isn't 45 like it ought to be.

Oxen also weigh up to 3000 pounds (a 2-hex animal?) and so have predicted ST of 45 vs listed ST 40.

Elephants/mammoths weigh up to 13,000 pounds and have predicted ST of 93, vs listed maximum ST of 75
Yes, I guess if you assume a direct correlation between ST and size in hexes, you come to results that don't match RAW. Sometimes, grabbing assumptions out of thin air can have that result.

If you're really keen on this notion, then any hero with ST 14 has to be represented as two hexes and then he gets to trample.

But why would you use a sqrt in your calculations? I'm not suggesting you shouldn't. I just don't get why you do. I don't get how ST is related to mass. I can kinda see the relation between mass and area as something like
m = (sqrt(A)) ^3
for a first ballpark figure, but going from there to ST is unclear to me. (Surely, it's not just because the numbers work out for humans? The numbers would also work if you take mass and divide it by 15, after all.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote