View Single Post
Old 02-17-2023, 03:08 PM   #22
Terquem

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip inspired Fiction, The Tower

Chapter 2 part 7

In the morning the rain had stopped. The clouds had gone, and the sun was warm as it rose in the east.

After changing back into their traveling cloths, Lydia was first to say, “We should go south to the coast and then west to Ilzonze,” as she packed her belongings.

“That would be the quickest way,” Lisa agreed, “but, I must go northwest. I want to see the village of Reen, and talk to the farmers there. With what you have experienced lately I want to know what they might have seen.”

“How far is that?” Tewelden asked.

“Not far. If we leave soon, we can reach Reen before sunset. I don’t expect anything will give us any trouble on the way, unless we come across one of your rabbits,” Lisa said.

Fairlyn had dressed in her armor. She unwrapped the bow she had covered the day before and set to stringing it rightly. She had not strapped the sword across her back, and it was still lying on the floor.

“That is a fine sword you have,” Alan said, admiring it.

“It isn’t my choice. I prefer a smaller sword but it was the only one available to me on such short notice. I haven’t needed it. Do you have weapons?”

“No,” Alan said. “I also haven’t needed a weapon, for a long while. I work hard to avoid trouble and I haven’t come upon anything in the wild.”

“Not even a troll?” Fairlyn asked. “There are a lot of trolls in the moors. Small ones, big ones, they seem everywhere these days. We spotted one three days ago, but it was a small bull and it avoided us and moved away in a hurry. There is strength in numbers after all. I’m surprised you haven’t had more trouble than you describe, traveling alone.”

“Well,” Alan said pointing toward Lisa, “she’s been traveling alone and she doesn’t seem scared at all.”

“If she is the Sorceress of the Aben Moor, she doesn’t have a reason to be afraid of anything in the moor. She protects it and it protects her, or so they say.”

“It’s true,” Lisa said. “I have a hunch that we will not encounter anything to slow us down unless it is a person or animal in need. I feel the moor, and it knows me. I think we will be safe until we leave the highlands. Eventually, either south of the tower or west of Reen, we will leave the moor proper. We will have to follow the river Ree west southwest of Reen to make our way to Ilzonze through the swamps and peat bogs for two days if we go that way or return to the tower and go south from here. I think that is the safer way, but it will add two or maybe three days to the journey.”

“The bogs will be high with run off this time of year. I think doubling back this way is the best thing to do, if we must go to Reen,” Lydia said.

Fairlyn took up the sword from the floor of the tower and held it out toward Alan. “Here, take it,” they said. “Do you know how to fight with a two-handed sword?”

Alan took the sword from Fairlyn and drew it from the scabbard. He held it in one hand. “It feels like I could use it as a normal sword, but yes I know how to use this. Thank you,” he said putting it back in the scabbard and handing it back to Fairlyn, “but it would be best if you keep it. I won’t need it. I’m sure.”

Lydia helped the eshians pack their things and roll the rabbit skin rug up. Then she tied it to the top of Fairlyn’s bag. She picked up her own pack and put her arms through the straps, snugging the buckles tight and then using both hands she lifted the large carpet bag.

“I can take that,” Alan said, “if you don’t mind.”

Lydia let him take the bag, again he used only one hand.

“You are even stronger than you look,” Lydia said. “Where is your traveling bag?”

“I don’t have one,” Alan said.

“No change of cloths or a bed roll? Don’t you have any food or even a water bag?”

“I make do as I go. I find, I find things to eat. Growing things,” Alan said, “and there has been no shortage of streams and rivers along my way. I guess I never thought about needing any baggage. I’ve, I’ve been looking for something for a long time and it’s all I’ve been thinking about, really.”

Everyone in the room turned to look at Lisa.

“Yeppers,” she said shrugging her shoulders, “he found me. Now, let’s get going. We have a long way to go. The weather is on our side for a change, and it should be a beautiful day.”

They left the tower. Alan was the last to leave, and as he was closing the door behind him the Tower said, “Wait, let the snake out before you go.”

“What?” Alan asked.

“Oh, I forgot,” Lisa said pushing past him to come back in.

She scanned the room and saw the small snake near the fireplace. “Time for you to go,” Lisa said as she hurried over to the snake and gently lifted it from the floor. She moved to stand beside Alan, smiled up at him, and said, “I can’t believe she thought she could eat you.” Then she skipped down the stone stairs toward the grass below and released the snake. It slithered away quickly. Lisa looked back at the tower door.

“Goodbye for now,” the Tower said. “Return when you can. I am always here.”

Alan shut the door behind him, and the group set off toward the village of Reen.

End of Chapter 2
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote