View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #35
Agemegos

Default Re: If GURPS did a Kickstarter what would you want it to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Unless the slowness is from David Pulver needing to do projects that are more lucrative.
Perhaps. If the project is too risky for the company to pay him an advance against royalties.

I really don't know whether Kickstarter makes projects more lucrative than they would otherwise have been. Do people pay more for the same product through Kickstarter? Do people pay through Kickstarter for products that they would leave on the shelf at W23? Maybe.

What it seems to me that Kickstarter is plainly good for is (a) securing seed capital for creators who otherwise face a high interest rate or cannot borrow (b) resolving uncertainty about sales. It might also be an effective marketing tool: I don't have the information to work that out.

So, what would I like to see GURPS run a Kickstarter for, specifically, rather than just announce it was funding out of company capital? Something too big for the company to capitalise? Something that would be really good if it sold well but that is not getting greenlit because it is too risky? What would that be?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote