View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
FireHorse

Default Re: The Palimpsest Trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Does Detect Magic tell you how many enchantments/spells something has, or just whether it is magic or not?

(We always played it as just "it's magic" or "it doesn't seem to be magic".)
That's pretty much exactly what ITL says.

Quote:
Also, how would the thief's companions think to intervene? (Flipping through the pages seems like fairly normal behavior, even if the thief is illiterate.)
They probably wouldn't notice… at first. But if it's all the way back on page 106, it'll take quite a while to get there, and it may seem odd that the Victim is so fixated on that book.

Plus, the Victim may realize what's happening — and the Control Person spell is only making them turn the pages, not be silent, so they may say something like, "Uh, guys… I can't stop flipping these pages. I mean, seriously, I can't stop…" And then they can try to pry the Victim away from the book.

Of course, you could just skip the Control Person part entirely, and put the Long-Distance Teleport trap on page 1, so they get it just by opening the thing — or the cover, for that matter. Or the doormat on the floor in front of the magnificent gold-chased ebony Lectern atop a rose marble pedestal (complete with overhead spotlight) upon which you were displaying the book…

But that'd be too easy, and wouldn't serve as an in-joke for anybody who knows what Page 106 means. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote