View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
CarrionPeacock

Default Re: Are knightly characters ineffective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
In the real world, of course, a high-medieval landed knight of the sort you seem to be envisioning simply had MUCH higher character point value than a peasant.

Your question invokes certain campaign/setting assumptions that may make certain character types simply not be viable if character generation gives each player an equal amount of points. This is for the GM and players to resolve in a manner that works for the game they want to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In a realistic game, a knight is simply worth more points! They are almost always born into more money and power, and pursue a career where they have a superior diet, more time for self-improvement, and better access to teaching and medical care. There's no way around them having just about every edge over a commoner.

This is why, in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, most of that is abandoned in favor of "knows how to fight." The main difference between a knight who knows how to fight and a common thug who knows how to fight is that if realism were switched back on, the knight would skyrocket in points due to all the Status, Wealth, genteel skills, etc., while the thug would plummet as a result of negative Status, poverty, and probably a Social Stigma of some kind.
I thought that would be the case and makes perfect sense (I can't prove it but I did write a paragraph about it in my much longer and detailed post but I lost it by accident).
However, how one should deal with it in a not-so-dungeon fantasy games, like one set in Banestorm/Yrth?
The best solution would be to hand the noble character more points, but doing so in anything but a tight-knit group would draw complaint from others.
Maybe allow buying the social traits as potential advantage (not heir) to save points? For skills Wild Talent (Social skills only) comes to mind, but it's limited to the IQ of the character, which might not be high enough to be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Generally speaking, it depends more on the focus of the campaign. Status, wealth, and the associated skills are extremely valuable if there is a social component. Legal Enforcement Powers may not matter in a DF game where you just raid dungeons, but they will matter if you get in fights around town.

Bottom line, if your campaign is focused on fighting then sure skip other traits where you won't need them. If your campaign gives equal weight to spending time in court, you'll need these traits to survive there.
I get your point and it works great if the game is defined as single genre, like hack'n'slash or courtly political drama, I don't believe it would work as well for a sandbox/point of light game...

Last edited by CarrionPeacock; 04-29-2021 at 10:04 AM.
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote