View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 03:39 AM   #3
pgb

Default Re: Modifiers on normal senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
No. Having the Deafness disadvantage go away under a limited circumstance is "No Deafness." The character would have both Deafness [-20] and No Deafness (Only in Direct Sunlight, -30%) [14] on their character sheet.

Power-Ups 8 is describing how to apply limitations to Disadvantages to get a proper point cost for them.
Well, yes and no. Yes, that's what it is describing. But one reason to do that in cases like Deafness, as far as I can see, is that that *is* the way to apply things like limitations to inborn senses. (And that seems perfectly sensible.) So in such cases, apart from direction, it is exactly the same idea as ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Powers: Enhanced Senses is describing how to apply enhancements to inborn senses which don't normally have a point cost because they are part of the default "human" template (Hearing, Vision, etc).
In Enhanced Senses, the calculation is described in a different way, but can still be thought of as "apply the enhancement to a (hypothetical) base cost that depends on the sense". It would seem natural to me *if* that base cost was the same as buying the sense back up from not having it; but it isn't.

To put it another way, what if I want to apply an Enhancement *and* a Limitation to my hearing, say? An enhancement and limitation that would cancel out in terms of cost if applied to an "artificial" sense would no longer cancel out because hearing is a human sense.

Last edited by pgb; 09-07-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Punctuation
pgb is online now   Reply With Quote