View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #20
Plane

Default Re: closest Space/Ultratech equiv to the giant power armors used by Marines in Starcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Starcraft ripoffed Starship Trooper, not WH40k. I think it deserve some respect :)
Just so long as we are clear that the March 1998 game did not rip off armor from the Nov 1997 live film.

The game would clearly be in development longer than that (it was planned since 1995) and there was 1996 demo at E3.

Any inspiration from Heinlein's creation would come from the 1959 novel itself, or the 6-episode anime OVA series released in 1988 which more faithfully adapted the power armor from the novel than the live films.

we never saw the SST armor done faithful to novels until the 1999 "Roughnecks" 3d-animated show, whose 36/40 episodes were GLORIOUS and I really wish they'd done more of that.

I wish we could blame that on budgeting restrictions, but I bet a lot of it has to do with the actors wanting face time which you don't get as much of when they're wearing suits instead of open-face helmets. IE why Robert Downy Junior just seems to have his helmet off so often in the movies, or why Grant Gustin as Barry Allen just happens to have a bunch of buddies who know his secret ID so he can "talk shop" as Flash unmasked on the CW's TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
This animation, on the other hand, makes them a lot smaller.
The only way I can puzzle out the clear "proportions difference" between Findlay's animated suitup and Singh's comic suitup is they must be different CMC models.

I haven't been able to find specifics on what model number CMC either of them use (though I'm not looking too hard, wary of spoilers) but I think that while the end result is probably similar (probably around 10-12ft tall) there's proportional differences in the design between what a 5ft woman and some 8ft roidmonster wear to get to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There is exactly one statement of weigh on that page that I could find: firebat armor is 140kg, and its considered heavy.
Nice find, also seeing height of 1.98m mentioned. Appropriate find for you too since Firebat CMC660 is red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I was more thinking of the Zerg and Protoss stats, which were designed to line up with that.
ie bugs/skinnies, but Blizzard certainly took things in unique directions with the Xel'Naga connection between them, and even though bugs were messing around with human psychics to some degree, Blizz also had a unique take w/ Infested Terrans and the fate of Sarah Kerrigan too I think.

Then again I haven't delved into WH40/Warhammer so I might be overlooking some similarities to non-SST stuff too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If you've done the original Starcraft missions, there are a bunch that have either civilians or random animals, and they aren't that much less durable than combat units, so starcraft armor really isn't terribly good.
the lowest human unit I can recall had 20 HP which was half that of a starting marine: https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Scientist_(Deception)

there were even some who had the same HP as marines (40):
https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Genetic_engineer
https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/UED_scientist
and an advanced one who had 60, which is more than the 50 than even a firebat starts with: https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/UED_genetic_engineer

They weren't exactly naked though, so we might handwave this as these scientists all having super-durable armor because they deal with volatile chemicals / high heat / etc.

They definitely seem slimmer and less bulky than a marine, but a lot of the marine armor probably goes toward stuff like having the strength to carry their guns, handle the recoil of the guns, etc.

That could even apply to Deception's scientists wh owere less protected than the UED ones and gene engineers, while being a UED into genetic engineer seems to give the +20 bonus twice because theirs is presumably the most dangerous field needing the most protection.

Of course: all of this "the HP is the armor" is a problematic assumption with Medics being able to heal the whole kaboodle of these "organic" units. I could handwaive these as medics having repair skills too (like SCVs but for small armor instead of vehicles/buildings) but a key diff is they use energy alone while SCVs use resources, so that implies you need resources to repair machines and energy to repair organics.

It's a weird assumption because I'd think you'd need resources to repair organics too...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote