View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #20
vierasmarius

Default Re: [SS] Reigning in Projectile Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Spaceships#3 Warships and Pirates, pg35 Greater Survivability. I also use the Advanced Armour option, although it doesn't really do anything as I use the Pulse laser option (from UT) and most missiles use proximity.
How does using the Pulse Laser option (which doubles range but reduces armor divisor, and makes the beams inflict explosive damage) make the Advanced Armor option inconsequential? If anything, I'd think that making available stronger armor would serve to exaggerate the reduced beam penetration.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I thought you were talking about the option to buy effectively higher-SM amor modules. I wasn't actually familiar with the Advanced Armor option from SS3, which makes TL8+ armor Hardened for free. Yeah, I see how using Pulse lasers instead of normal ones wouldn't mean much, if armor is Hardened anyways.

The "Missile Shield" option is interesting, and is similar to the superscience option I considered in an above post. Perhaps I'll just use that, with the rationale that missiles (for some reason) don't Dodge. Maneuvering fighters, and missiles at point-blank range, would be immune to this automatic missile shield, and need to be targeted normally. I'm not sure that I'll need the Damage Reduction on top of this... I'll need to run the numbers first. But that will have to wait for morning.

Quote:
The Spaceship options I use make published military vessels useless to me but the civilian ships are fine and most roleplaying happens in a civilian setting. The military gear is just background data, eg how powerful they can be as compared to civilian ships.
This interests me. My intent is to change the feel of military confrontations. How do the above options make the published military vessels' stats useless?

Last edited by vierasmarius; 03-18-2012 at 03:42 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote