View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
vierasmarius

Default Re: [SS] Reigning in Projectile Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I went with the Pyramid mods to boost beam damage, reduce explosive damage, increase armor and dHP. And the optional rule for damage control (halves damage).

As a houserule, I also use a form of advanced and experimental armor similar to the old Vehicles formats: it works really simply - Advanced lets you pay for and receive the dDR of the next SM; Experimental is SM+2.

These mods combine to make warships vastly tougher. Missiles are still lethal, just not one-hit-vaporises, except for civilians.
While I've read the Extreme Damage section closely, I haven't looked much at the alternate Beam Damage table. Let's see...

Okay, interesting. The alternate beam damage increases at the same scale as the alternate HP. Combining them means Major Battery beams inflict 70-80% of the firing ship's HP, pretty close to the original progression of 70-75% HP. While the higher HP totals does help large ships survive hits by small missiles, it actually makes large projectiles far less potent (relatively speaking) since their damage increases even slower in comparison to beams. However, that may not be a problem; missiles in Space Opera tend to be fired by tiny ships anyways, so perhaps big missiles are as useless as these numbers imply.

EDIT: Also, where are the optional Damage Control rules? In the same Pyramid issue (3/34)?

Last edited by vierasmarius; 03-17-2012 at 05:58 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote