View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Plane

Default Re: How to use Control (Magic) with your RPM casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingeanus View Post
I considered that Persistent would be the solution to this, but it's duration is a shallow 10 seconds after Concentration has lapsed,
I think you'd possibly also need Independent (not sure if +40% of +70%) too? That seems to be what gets you through the "doesn't need concentrates anymore" door, and then it the duration you buy UNLESS it requires an activation roll (lasts MoS minutes) or is resisted (lasts MoF minutes) or is a Quick Contest (lasts MoS minutes minus MoS of resister determining MoV if they fail)

If there's no rolls whatsoever I think you just ignore the 'margin' thing and go straight to applying Independent up to the full duration you purchase.

The 'use lesser' from Margins means they would cap any huge amounts unless you are allowed buy ED on the MoF too, meaning you're buying two continuums of ED (functioning at lesser of both) the base 10-second Persistant and the MoF minutes. That's expensive enough to be fair (especially comapred to Affliction which only needs to buy duration once)

Quote:
and as such requiring many levels of Extended Duration for Ritual Adepts alongside astronomical levels for those without. As well, I'm uncertain if you could even pause in the middle of Gathering Energy to Concentrate on using the Control advantage again.
I think that's what Independent is meant to do, you preprogram your ability to do something without doing a Concentrate to give it input.

Quote:
Alternatively a method that I was unsure about was the possibility of applying Reduced Time onto Control, making it a Free Action each turn to Concentrate.
If it were that simple we'd just do that for Mind Control and Telekinesis.

Instead the best you get from Reduced Time on TK is "it can pick up options as a free action" but you still take Concentrates unless you take Independent.

Once you had Independent it'd probably be okay to add Reduced Time to make it a free action to "change the orders" for your independent ability, or to "re-initiate it" whenever the MoF/MoV minutes expired.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote