Thread: Amazon books
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
malloyd

Default Re: Amazon books

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcipx View Post
If it were ever re-released in colour (highly unlikely, I know), I'd snap up a POD copy in a heartbeat.
The problem there is you have to pay for replacement art, and that's a significant chunk of the cost of any illustrated book. That applies in either direction really - you *can* take color art and print it in black and white, but expect it to look horrible. That's potentially fixable with a good editing job (and I guess colorizing black and white is too for a suitable definition of "edit"), but that good job probably costs as much as new art would.

It's sometimes feasible to release both versions with comics, where the production process starts with line drawings which are then colorized, letting you print black and white version with just the drawings with a cheaper printing process, assuming of course you still *have* copies of the original inked but uncolored drawings. And if you are doing a complete re-layout for a new edition or something, maybe it makes sense to commission new art, particularly if there are rights issues involved. But the economics are usually against it, it's not something you can do trivially.