Thread: A bit of Advice
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #30
Landwalker

Default Re: A bit of Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I'd still expect the default expectation to be 'guns are lethal' and only if someone specifically told me that they were not all that dangerous in a given game would it even occur to me.
I'd expect the default expectation to also include "Swords are lethal" and "Crossbows are lethal" and "Flaming jets shot out of somebody's hands are lethal," and all of this is essentially true in GURPS but hardly the case in D&D (Burning Hands or whatever is a first-level spell with a pretty low damage cap, and even PCs at the lowest end of mid-level scoff derisively at the notion of unenchanted swords and bolts being anything more than a minor inconvenience). Playing enough D&D will tend to... skew the default expectation somewhat. If they were coming to GURPS from a background of nothing, then I don't think they would have trouble with the premise that getting shot by a TL5 musket will probably kill you. But since they're coming from D&D, they probably associate "RPG PCs" with "Limited Invincibility".

Cheers.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote