View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 11:11 PM   #3
Pectus Solentis

Default Re: [Spaceships, Ultra-Tech] On-board Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The arrays in Spaceships include Extended High and Low Band Vision, whereas even the PESA sensors in Ultra-Tech do not (they only have Low-Band). They also have ESM systems to detect communication and active sensor emissions from other ships. They have active sensors as well, both radar and laser, and they are large and advanced enough to have no practical target tracking limit (with a rande of 1.5 light seconds in the case of your example system). On top of this, they include radio and laser communications systems with very long range (1.5 AU in your example). Finally, all of these sensors and comms function over the whole sky.
I saw that differences by comparing Spaceships and Ultra-Tech.
But when Spaceships' Sensor Array do the good performances on that long distance than Ultra-Tech's Sensor Array, I think Spaceships' Sensor Array should be expensive than Ultra-Tech's. Even SM+4 Science Sensor Array is cheaper than the set of Ultra-Tech sensors.

Quote:
I don't think the mass is at all unreasonable. The low cost might be, but unlike the UT systems these ones don't need rugged casings, and the whole system only needs one UI, saving on the cost of screens, input keyboards, and so on.
Well, will it justify Spaceships' Sensor Array is much cheap (over 1/10 of the cost) than Ultra-Tech's Sensor Array?

Quote:
Also, remember that the design system is intended to produce reasonable results across a huge range of sizes, and was originally for spaceships only. It's not surprising that at the very high and low ends of the scale and for non spaceships it gets a bit weird. I think it does a very good job, all things considered, but it's not perfect.
Well...

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-19-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote