View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
Ultraviolet

Default Re: Trip (MA81), can it be used on Step-and-Attack? Hit loc for fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I don't think it's as broad as within a hex, you can't trip someone who's running directly at you from the front (unless they're trying to evade you and run into your rear hex) for example.

I'm actually not sure what order you resolve that in... to try a Trip do you have to lose the Evade contest first, or can you try to Trip first and then try to obstruct their evasion?

What you can do, is a Wait > Stop Thrust as "can’t retreat if he moved more than a step toward you" to make it harder to avoid (and you get a +1 to damage in that case of them moving 2 yards too!)

If you want free attacks in place of parries, if someone's trying to evade you you can try an Obstruction instead of a Trip with your weapon, as that can inflict damage.
Trip specifically states it is a defence against a Slam, so it can work om somebody running directly towards you. I assume it involved a minimum of sidestepping (within your hex) or twisting out of the way - otherwise you'll get hit. It doesn't mention Sideslip, but I assume that would be ok.

I'm not interesting in free attacks instead of a parry, that sounds abusive. If you wanted to do that, you should call a Wait action and then attack of Sweep someone running past you with a long weapon.
But Trip as written allows you to intercept-trip someone running past you, in your hex or an adjacent one. I know you need to think logical about it, so you'd need to notice the runner before it was too late, so someone may run past your back.

I think my own conclusion is that:
*I'll allow a Trip on a parry versus at attacker moving 2+ yards towards you, not just Slams
*I'll treat the trip as simple, for no damage and with the foe ending in two hexes, with his legs in the hex he was when tripped and the upper body in the direction he was moving.
*Otherwise I'd use normal parry followed by a (defensive) Judo Throw, and direct where the foe lands using normal rules for this. Like hit location penalty for flipping him head first into an adjacent wall.
*Or a Grabbing Parry followed by a Grab-and-Smash in the next round to Kiss the Wall.