Thread: Ideas for Yrth
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Ideas for Yrth

There's been some discussion about whether having one language cover a huge area is realistic vs. playability, i.e., do you want PCs to have to spend 20 points on language just to fully function?

Good points. But there's a couple other major factors.
  1. Humans came to Yrth from another world. There are other types of intelligent beings here. On that basis, I think it's quite reasonable, even in a realistic sense, for humans to "stick together," including having a common language that spreads further than it would have otherwise.
  2. These societies primarily began at TL 3, not TL 0. They formed a few hundred years ago, not tens of thousands of years ago, so there's bound to be less change. And long distance communication generally becomes more important the higher the TL.

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 10-12-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote