View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Ragabash Moon

Default Re: Planet Destroyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8
Ok. So, the Death Star, say, does (10^12)d damage, and has ROF 10 (but fires for 1 round only). If top-of-the-line planatary shields give, say, DR 10^13 semi-ablative, that would work-out about right. The ROF simulates the ability to fire at less than full power, if the need arises.

This need not be limited to Star Wars; in other settings Death Star size battle stations with shields to match the orginal's weaponry may exist.
Even in a Star Wars campaign, if planetary shields that almost block it exist (perhaps allowing people in fortified bunkers to survive) it should be theoretically possible to build such a battle station.
Or a technological weapon like the death star could coexist with supernatural powers like those in Lensman, which could potentially defend against it.

And why would you say it doesn't work AT ALL on Gas Giants? It could do damage without destroying them.
Well, that was the whole point of why they didn't just blast Yavin THEN blow up Yavin IV. They had to go AROUND Yavin to blast Yavin IV. It's details you get from a novel/RPG sourcebook/trivia junkie that aren't in a movie. Plot wise, it was to give the rebels time to stop the Death Star, but still it goes to show... gas giants the Death Star doesnt' affect (Now Bespin on the other hand... being flammable, MIGHT be able to be ignited, that's not the same as being able to blow up a gas giant planet)

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote