View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Vile Vortices and Supernatural Threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The Vile Vortices are somewhat ill-defined. I'd suggest you put them on the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, because that looks significant.

Given that, Krakatoa is about 17 degrees, or 1,200 miles, north of the Tropic of Capricorn, on the edge of the Wharton Basin. You would need dubious plate tectonics to make anything of that.
I tracked down Sanderson's original article from SAGA magazine (contra Wikipedia, it's published in 1973, not 1972) and I am delighted to report that the Vile Vortices he postulates are lozenge shaped, not triangular, and that each of them might be as large as the Bermuda Triangle extended into a lozenge.

Depending on one's preference in crackpot theories, that could be anywhere from 500,000 square miles to a couple of million square miles each. Plate tectonics be damned, I think I'll get away with making Krakatoa the terminus of a lozenge that also reaches the Wharton Basin! A lozenge three thousand miles from end to end, a thousand miles at the widest bit in the middle, would be within the realm of possibility for what he describes.

The 'Algerian Megalith' vortex is centered somewhere between Morocco ang Algeria and likely includes not only parts of Algeria, Morocco and northern Mali (inc. Timbuktu); but also a fair bit of the western Med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
However, the Wharton Basin is also where MH370 seems to have disappeared, which has not escaped the attention of the whole Internet, even though Wikipedia has ignored it. That event could have been what made the PCs' sponsor decide to recruit his field team.
Just so.

Well, he's had a team in the field since the late 80s, but no doubt MH370 represents something terribly significant in the setting's history.

Last edited by Icelander; 12-31-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote