View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 10:33 PM   #9
Polydamas

Default Re: game theory link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
If I were to add anything it would be a little more explanation of and emphasis on the character-players’ role as co-creators and collaborators with the GM, as fellow entertainers of each other and the GM. With that, perhaps, goes a stronger hint the the GM can share the character-players’ joy of discovering what happens only when it does happen, and with the satisfaction that what happened was what would happen.
I agree, that is one of my fundamental objections to Ken Hite's "tabletop RPGs as Hollywood movies" model. If a GM tries to act like a director and control everything the players experience, he is a bad GM.

People have been telling jokes about player-character stories since the 1970s because they know by experience that the game which is fun to play is often boring to hear told. Tabletop games are not movies or novels, they are a distinct kind of collaborative storytelling. These days a few RPGs have a passive audience on streaming video, but that still seems like an accident not an essence.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 07-21-2021 at 10:37 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote