View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Help With Hyperspace!

So we're looking at a 625,000 multiplier for a speed 50 gate, which is considered to be a really good gate. At 180 kps the time for a single light year is

1 Ly * 9.46e12 km/LY / 6.25e5 / 1.8e2 km/sec / 3.6e3 sec/hour= 23.4 hours

So a day per light year with the really fancy portals. That's a little slow, but its close enough to feel intentional, and suggests you already did your math.
If that's what you want to run your setting at, it could very well work. It also depends on how close your systems are to each other.

To answer your question about ideal weight for a hyper-motivator, I have to ask what your goals are. Are the largest hypergates supposed limited by technology or by expense? Do you need a receiving gate to pop out of hyperspace again, motivating everything to be the same size, or can I build an enormous factor 234 gate around Jupiter to maintain and leverage solar economic dominance? Should "slow" gates be cheap but fast ones more expensive? Is there an ideal size you want to push ships towards?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote