View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 12:02 AM   #9
scc

Default Re: Help With Hyperspace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No, I jsut checked again and in your initial post in this thread you did not explain "speed factors". "How much faster you go in hyperspace" is kind of vague as well.

If it's a multiple of lightspeed then dividing 4.3 light-years by 20 get's you c. 80 days to Alpha Centauri but Alpha C. is a _lot_ closer than the next vague possibility. ISTR 7 of those in the nearest 40 light-years.

The last time we thrashed out what was known we came up with an average distance of 200 light-years between Earth-like planets and if you have 150 of thsoe you will be at that number (on average of course).

Dividing 200 light-years by 50 and you get 4 years travel time (10 years at your factor 20). If that's your highest speed over that distance you're going to see one-way travel and quite possibly in hibernation mode to avoid wasting the time in transit.
No, I give decent details, if not very clearly, in my OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
this speed factor is important because this cubed is how much faster vessel that used it is faster then it would be in real space
Now this could be clearer still I realize upon reflection, so let me clarify that: Going through a portal to hyperspace takes you to a dimension that is physically smaller then ours by speed factor cubed, but has point-to-point corispondence, this last means you can still accelerate once in hyperspace (So technically there are many different hyperspace's, like a layer cake and going higher up makes you faster).

What I didn't mention is how fast ships can yet up to, well that's 36Kps at TL8 and 180Kps at TL9 due to improved drives technology.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote